Sorry I haven't posted anything for awhile, there just hasn't been much to say. As the title says, I've been battling a cold and working 40 hours a week and not much else. Bridget and Audra went to Kending for the weekend, we did laundry. Ooohhh, I get goosebumps just thinking about the excitement of fresh linens. How could a beautiful weekend on the beach possibly compare? Paul watched "The Host" and "28 Weeks Later," which he recommends if you're Nick. We've developed a kind of comfortable business agreement with our local video lady. She overcharges us 10 kuai each time and we don't complain. She in turn doesn't charge us a late fee regardless of when we actually return the movie. We tried to see if returning the DVD on time prevented overcharges, but it didn't, so we decided we might as well keep them as long as we liked. Paul also finally consented to new shoes after I told him it was literally keeping me up at night. I don't particularly like them, but they are the proper size, waterproof, and cheap.
Oh, and we also saw "Stardust" last night. It was pretty good, and we learned that--like those punk Brits--the Taiwanese are much amused by men in women's clothing. Alas, much of the humor was through wordplay and apparently it didn't translate well. Since I bashed the British, I might as well make up for it by tossing in the following story. Earlier in the month, I ran into another Causcasian on the street outside the apartment. We had run into a few others here in Changhua, but they were all Kiwis. (New Zealanders can work without a visa in Taiwan for 6 months a year, so most of the English-speakers we meet are Kiwis.) Yet, as soon as this woman opened her mouth, it was revealed that she was not a Kiwi, but a fellow American. I was so pleased. Alas, it was not to be. Turned out she was Canadian. Later I ran into her and I almost addressed her as a fellow Canadian, but then I remembered that I wasn't Canadian. Now, if I can't tell the difference between Americans and Canadians, I think it's time to drop the charade and stop pretending to be different countries. We could call it the the United States of North America sans Mexico, or USNA for short. Quebec could take the opportunity to declare its independence, you could buy Clearly Canadian south of the border, and you wouldn't need a passport to travel between the two countries anymore (thank you, congressional legislation set to take effect on January 1, 2008). Where are the losers I ask?
I accidentally reserved train tickets to Tainan for next Saturday, so between that and of course Halloween and the Great Halloween Dyeathon, maybe I'll have something to talk about next week. Sorry for the excessive lameness, I think my Sims have a more exciting life than I do right now.
Finally, I would like to send special birthday greetings to Grandpa Bussio, who is now a respectable eighty-four years old.
No comments:
Post a Comment