So I was looking around Facebook, learning about the post-BYU pursuits of my friends (Medical School at University of Illinois at Urbana! Graduate studies in Harpistry at the University of Indiana!) when I saw that one anonymous friend--let's call him Vance Johnson--was a member of the group, "You know You're From Provo When...." There's 75 things you should know if you're from Provo. I don't know 7 of them. I know it shouldn't bother me, but it really, really, really does.
10. You know where every scene of the Mormon "Pride and Prejudice" was filmed.
Now, I have never seen this film, so it definitely shouldn't bother me to miss, yet here it is.
33. You remember when BYU had a moat going around campus and were really quite bothered when they filled it up, but not as much as the ducks who were made homeless by the thoughtlessness of BYU groundskeeping.
I never recall BYU having a moat around campus. There was an open canal across from the Art Museum that was eventually filled in, displacing ducks. I have no idea if this is the moat in question (in which case the author of the list does not understand the meaning of "moat") or merely a fragment of such thing.
34. You enjoyed seeing the ducks in the Timpview parking lot when walking back from "release time."
I didn't attend Timpview, but well, see #10.
56. Jolly Jolly James
I literally have no idea to what this is referring.
59. You know the difference between canyon crap and edgie wedgies.
Ditto.
69. You go to Power Pump every Wednesday.
Ibid.
74. You know you're from Provo when you remember the rope swings on the Provo River trail until they cut them down.
I feel like I vaguely know something about this, but I think it was before my time.
Perhaps some of you could come to my aid and restore my street cred, as it were?
9 comments:
I can't help you here. Frankly, I think if you got 68 right you've definitely got your own street cred very much in tact!
On the moat - I heard something about there being a stream area at least at the top of campus (below the bell tower) and it was filled in. If I remember right, the art museum is south of campus - so maybe both areas were somehow connected? But that just secondhand information (or third or fourth...) for me. :)
Nah, the Art Museum is across the street from the bell tower. We're talking the same thing.
Oh, yes. I feel silly now. I do know that art museum - and visited it quite a number of times. What was I thinking of that is south of campus? Maybe the art building (for art students)? Wasn't there a haz waste problem because they had art waste but weren't completely connected to campus?
So maybe that ditch felt like a mote for those who were living in the dorms?
Definitely a list for those of an older generation, though. :)
You're thinking of Amanda Knight Hall, which did have haz waste and was not adjacent to BYU property, having been built as a dorm. Pretty building, though.
Here's something interesting I just learned the other day. The pond south of campus was originally built for the biology department to conduct experiments in, but when the ducks came to campus, they screwed up the ecosystem and now the pond is worthless to the bio department.
I thought it was called botany pond, not biology pond. Did biology trade it to botany?
No idea. Kendal Jensen told me about it. I figured he'd know cause he has a biology degree. He could be completely making it up, for all I know.
To, all yes there were ditches (irrigation) on the north side(below the bell tower) and going west to south, running along the Maeser hill and ending on 7th East. As for the swings on the (stream)river; there was a million of them. I am sorry to say that most if not all have been removed for safety reason... I had some great times on the swings and shooting the locks.
Post a Comment